ESPRESSO EDUCATION AND SPECIAL SESSIONS
Open to all attendees. Take part in these energizing sessions on effective business strategies for success in 2013 and beyond.
Thursday, November 7
8:30 AM - 9:45 AM
NEW in 2013! Key Note Session
The Challenge of Change: Finding Opportunity in Adversity
Warren Macdonald, President, Warren Macdonald Unlimited
We've all heard it a million times; “change is constant”, “the only certainty in life is change”, “change or perish”. We all know it, but Warren is someone who has actually dealt successfully with incredible change. His “Challenge of Change” presentation reminds you why you love this industry, and helps you realize that challenges brought on by change hold endless opportunities for innovation and personal and professional growth. That it is possible to not just survive, but to thrive despite adversity. Complimentary coffee and pastries will be available.
• Learn to recognize and breakthrough mental barriers to change.
• Develop a mindset that seeks solutions and opportunities.
• Get psyched about diving again through one man’s story of breaking through the barriers to dive again.
5:00 PM – 6:30 PM
DEMA Lionfish Update and Collection and Handling Workshop
Lad Akins, REEF Director of Special Projects and Peter Hughes, Founder, DivEncounters
This workshop will include the latest updates on the invasive lionfish issue including research findings and removal successes. In addition, there will be a hands-on demonstration on removal tools and techniques being used around the region and how the dive industry can take part in ongoing removal efforts to minimize lionfish impacts. Examples of local and regional successes and challenges will be discussed. The workshop will be interactive with questions from participants encouraged.
Friday, November 8
8:30 AM – 9:45 AM
DEMA Member Update and Annual Meeting
Tom Ingram, Executive Director, DEMA
Network with fellow industry leaders and DEMA Members and get an update on DEMA's projects and programs to help the dive industry succeed. Don't miss this information-filled morning, including complimentary coffee and pastries.
Saturday, November 9
8:30 AM - 9:45 AM
How to Ban the Sale of Shark Fins in Your Area
Bob Harris, DEMA Legislative Consultant, Messer Caparello Law Firm
Espresso Education Session
This session will outline how to introduce legislation in your state or community that would make the sale of shark fins illegal. Join Bob Harris, DEMA Legislative Consultant, for this informative session on how you can help DEMA and the diving industry put an end to this thoughtless practice once and for all.
• Learn what DEMA and other states have done so far on this issue.
• Understand the model shark fin ban legislation DEMA has developed.
• Receive step-by-step instructions for introducing the legislation in your state or community.
• Learn first-hand techniques on how to get this done.
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Moving Toward 2020: Developing a Strategic Vision for the Recreational Diving Industry
Tom Ingram, Executive Director of DEMA
Join Tom Ingram for this brainstorming session on the direction of the Diving Industry over the next few years. DEMA has already implemented many of the ideas generated in similar brainstorming sessions throughout 2011 and 2012, including:
• Access to workers compensation and health insurance for DEMA Members, including business owners and their employees.
• Increased use of social media with the diving community.
• Implementation of programs to reach a younger audience and bring them into diving.
• Creation and promotion of programs which encourage “local diving”.
All of these ideas came directly from previous 2020 Vision Sessions and members of the Industry just like YOU! We hope you’ll join us to help generate ideas that help you take control of your business.
*Seminars are subject to change.